What is Corona Virus & Covid-19
Corona viruses are a type of virus. There are many different kinds, and some cause disease. A newly identified type of corona virus, severe acute respiratory syndrome corona virus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), has caused a recent outbreak of an infectious respiratory disease that began in China in 2019. The disease is called corona virus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
COVID-19 appeared in Wuhan, a city in China, in December 2019. Although officials are still tracing the exact source of this novel corona virus, early hypotheses believe that it might be linked to a seafood market in Wuhan, China. Some people who visited the market developed viral pneumonia caused by the novel corona virus. Investigations are ongoing as to how this virus originated and spread.
Symptoms of Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19)
Most people infected with the novel corona virus will experience mild to moderate respiratory illness and recover without requiring special treatment. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer are more likely to develop serious illness.
COVID-19 symptoms include:
- High Fever
- Shortness of breath
- Muscle aches
In rare cases, COVID-19 can lead to severe respiratory problems, kidney failure or death.
Treatment & Vaccines for Novel Corona Virus disease (COVID-19)
At this time, there are no vaccines or treatments for Novel Corona Virus disease (COVID-19). However, there are many clinical trials that are trying to evaluate potential treatments. WHO will continue to provide updated information as soon as clinical findings become available.
People who become sick from COVID-19 should be treated with supportive measures to relieve symptoms. For severe cases, there may be additional options for treatment, including research drugs and therapeutics.
Precautions against Novel Corona Virus disease (COVID-19)
WHO and CDC recommend following these precautions for avoiding Novel Corona Virus disease (COVID-19):
- Avoid large events and mass gatherings.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who is sick or has symptoms.
- Keep distance between yourself and others if Novel Corona Virus disease (COVID-19) is spreading in your community, especially if you have a higher risk of serious illness.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Cover your mouth and nose with your elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw away the used tissue.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces you often touch on a daily basis.
If you have a chronic medical condition and may have a higher risk of serious illness, check with your doctor about other ways to protect yourself.
What can I do if I am or may be ill with COVID-19?
If you develop symptoms and/or you’ve been exposed to the Novel Corona Virus disease (COVID-19), contact your doctor for medical advice. Please call the doctor/facility ahead of your visit, so the health care providers can take steps to ensure that others aren’t exposed to the Novel Corona Virus disease (COVID-19) that you might be carrying.
Take the following precautions to avoid spreading the Novel Corona Virus disease (COVID-19):
- Stay home from work, school and all public areas, except to get medical care.
- Avoid taking public transportation as much as possible.
- Wear a mask around other people and destroy the masks after each use.
- Isolate yourself from others in your home.
- Avoid sharing dishes, glasses, bedding and other household items with others in your home.