One of the most popular street foods – Veg momos recipe, is a steamed (or fried or tandoori) dumpling with vegetable fillings, usually served with a spicy Momos Red Chilli Chutney or Momos Chutney or Momos Sauce and mayo.
This is one of the perfect try as a Lockdown Recipes Veg.
Veg momos recipe is one of the simple recipes among Indian Chinese food recipes. Veg momos are, actually, a traditional food of Tibet and Nepal. Momos, dim sums and wontons are different names given to various dumplings which are popular in China, Tibet, Nepal and North Eastern states of India. Slowly these cute little savories have made their way to the other parts of India & hence to Indian’s hearts (and stomachs). Most of the street food vendors you may come across, selling Indian Chinese food, are sure to be selling a variety of momos.
How to Make Momos Red Chilli Chutney | Momos Chutney | Momos Sauce Recipe – Make at Home Easy Vegetarian Food Recipe #Lockdown Special Recipe
Traditionally, Momos are steamed in bamboo baskets but you can also cook them in a regular steamer or cooker lie idlis.
Ingredients for making Veg Momos
- Maida – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 5 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Water (to prepare the dough)
- Maida (for rolling)
- Cabbage – 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Carrot 3/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 2 clove, finely chopped
- Ginger 1/2″, finely chopped
- Soy sauce 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper powder 1/4 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
Steps for making Veg Momos at home
- Mix the maida, 1 tsp oil and salt & knead with warm water to make a soft dough. Cover with a wet muslin cloth & keep aside when done.
- To make the filling, heat 4 tsp oil in a pan and add garlic. Saute for 1-1.5 minutes, add chopped green chilies and ginger and mix well. Add chopped onions and saute for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the chopped cabbage and cook for 6-8 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Add soy sauce, black pepper powder and salt and mix them well while heating on medium flame for a few more seconds.
- Now, turn off the heat and allow this mixture to come to room temperature.
- While the mixture cools, knead the dough again for 1-2 minutes and divide into 12-14 equal sized portions/balls.
- Roll out each ball into a 4-4.5 inch diameter circle. The circles should be neither too thick nor too thin in thickness.
- Place 1 tsp of the prepared vegetable filling mixture in the center of each rolled out circle. Do not overstuff the filling.
- Beginning at any one end of the circle, gather the edges to form pleats in your desired shape and bring the pleats together to form a pouch and seal the end. Do this with all the circles.
- Steam the Veg Momos in a greased steamer for 7-8 minutes. The Veg Momos are ready when a shiny sheen appears over them.
- Serve immediately with Veg Momos chutney recipe and mayo. You can also savor them with other dips & sauces as per your liking.
Do try this Lockdown Recipes Veg Momos & leave your comments below.